The Payroll Specialist is responsible for the processing of all payroll including both union and non-union Associates of American Licorice Company (ALC). Must be able to work independently, be detail oriented, have a high degree of accuracy and work in a timely manner. The Payroll Specialist needs to be proactive, and is empowered to independently ensure ALC is in compliance with all payroll laws and related requirements. This position is part of the Accounting Department and works in a team environment with Human Resources, Manufacturing, Customer Relations, Logistics, Sales and Marketing.
Essential Job Functions
- The Payroll Specialist is responsible for all aspects of payroll processing including both union and non-union associates with the ADP Workforce Now software. There are both exempt and non-exempt associates and this position is responsible to oversee the payroll for both weekly and semi-monthly payrolls. This includes approving/reviewing timecards in ADP including check distribution to appropriate locations and departments. Excellent customer service, as well as responding to, and resolving associates’ concerns regarding paychecks in a timely manner are very important.
- Responsible for recording PTO, providing verification of employment upon request, cross checking the data entry of new hires, salary adjustments, deductions, and benefits, as directed.
- Processing of periodic items that go through the payroll system such as: HSA account payments, 401(k) and savings program payments and administration including loans and vacation payouts, interim checks, reimbursements, garnishments, bonuses, etc. This requires an understanding of the payroll system and how activity flows within the ERP system JD Edwards (JDE) or flows to the ADP Workforce Now software then back to JDE.
- Accurately and timely process, submit or oversee all payroll taxes to governmental entities, including multiple states, as required weekly, monthly, quarterly and annually and will support this function within the ADP Workforce Now SAS.
- Must stay current on all payroll laws and related requirements and work independently making decisions that may financially impact the company.
- The Payroll Specialist works closely with the Human Resources Department and assists with verifying data that is entered into ADP Workforce Now SAS is accurate (i.e., direct deposit, workers’ compensation codes, W-4 information, new hire reporting, benefit changes including 401(k) and bonus plans).
- Procedures need to be fully documented, accurate and complete.
- Monthly reconciliation of payroll reports, including all benefits, garnishments, and support payments; to ensure proper payments are made timely via check, wire or ACH.
- Document preparation and reconciliation of the 401(k), HSA and Lifestyle programs, for distribution and dissemination to third party administrators.
- Other payroll duties to include various reconciliation/spreadsheets in Excel may be required.
- The Accounting Supervisor may assign other general accounting duties and projects on an as needed basis.
- Responsible for Food Safety as related to the position
- ADP software experience required.
- Associates Degree in Accounting or Business and/or equivalent experience is preferred.
- Possess a minimum of five years’ experience in Payroll and must be current on payroll laws.
- Experience in payroll tax reporting with multi-state experience a plus.
- Experience with large ERP programs is preferred.
- General accounting and reconciliation experience is preferred.
- Possess strong computer skills, including MS Word and MS Excel, be organized, detailed, and customer service oriented.
- Ability to work independently and will have responsibilities that financially impact the company.
- Overtime may be required occasionally.
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to get along with a diverse population are critical qualifications.
- Possess excellent customer service skills, integrity and confidentiality when working with both internal and external customers.